After 10 years of owning and operating The Republic Steakhouse in College Station, executive chef Wade Barkman is finally building his own restaurants – an updated Republic, plus a brand-new concept that shares a common slab – from the ground up.
In this podcast with Public Communications Director Jay Socol, Wade talks about life leading up to this point, and what people can expect with these new properties.
Total run time: 32:03
- 00:00 – Show open.
- 01:00 – PART ONE: Wade starts from the beginning, including how he found Texas A&M, moved on to culinary school, then California, Vegas (thank you, Aggie Network) and finally back to CS in 2006.
- 08:20 – Wade finds his restaurant location — home to three or four previous ones. (Can you name them?)
- 11:42 – The highs and lows of Chimney Hill: Why did Wade stay?
- 14:30 – How he found a concept — The Republic — that the town needed, even if he wasn’t a steakhouse guy.
- 17:48 – Why dozens of restaurants have come and gone in 10 years, but The Republic has survived. “I would not wish this business on anyone.”
- 19:47 – PART TWO: The Republic is being recreated + Primrose Path, a “gastro-pub wine bar.”
- 21:13 – The differences between the old Republic and the new one.
- 24:14 – What is Primrose Path going to be?
- 26:58 – Will you miss the old building, or take anything with you to the new place?
- 28:07 – How was your development experience with the city of College Station?
- 30:11 – Sometime in fall 2018: Republic will open, with Primrose Path doing so about a month later.
- 30:49 – What’s your guilty pleasure in terms of food?
- 31:49 – Show close.